Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Snowflake Catcher Necklaces


I had this brainstorm last year when I was outside with my son. We were trying to catch snowflakes on black felt and black construction paper but they kept blowing in the wind. My son had his mittens on so he was even more frustrated by not being able to hold the paper well. That's when it hit me ---"Snowflake Catcher Necklaces"!

I wanted something that could hang around his neck so when he lost interest it could just hang there. I also wanted it to be firm enough that it wouldn't fold or bend. I decided an old CD with a ribbon attached could fit this purpose.
To make them I covered one side with dark colored felt. The felt works well because it's fuzzy texture kind of makes the snowflakes stand up so you can view it from multiple angles. I also made sure that the ribbon was long enough to easily fit over a hood or hat since these will be used while we have our big winter coats on.

For the reverse side of the snowflake catchers I have made a couple of different versions:
* For some I added a felt pocket where a magnifying glass could be stored. To make it more portable, I attached a plastic magnifying glass onto another ribbon so it would all stay together. (This option proved a little hard for 3 year olds to operate though.)
* Another idea was to draw a few types of common snowflakes to use as a quick reference.
* My favorite choice for preschoolers is to the leave the back side blank so they have a "mirror". They like to check themselves, especially if they are trying to catch falling snowflakes on their tongues! This mirror would also be fun to show them how to make reflections with the sun and send an S.O.S. message!
Class set for my preschoolers...now if only we could have a nice snowfall!

Happy Snowflake Catching! Be sure to check out my other related post here for more snowflake info!
~April

No comments:

Post a Comment